13 Oct 2011 - CYCLEWight

Go to content

13 Oct 2011

Campaigning > IW Cycle Forum

Isle of Wight Cycle Forum Minutes
13 October 2011 @ 6pm
Innovations Centre, St Cross Business Park, Newport.
Present:
Claire Critchison (CC) IWC Events Team
Martin Gibson (MB) Natural Enterprise
Steve Goodman (SG) Cyclewight, Sustrans Ranger
Councillor John Hobart (JB) IWC
Margaret Hopkinson-Woolley (MH) Cyclewight & Bembridge Wheelers
Alexander Hopkinson-Woolley (AH) Cyclewight & Bembridge Wheelers
Mike Jordan (MJ) Bembridge Wheelers
Alex Lawson (AL) Cyclewight & Wayfarers
Valerie Lawson (VGL) Cyclewight & Wayfarers
James Lord (JL)
Rachel Mills (RM) IWC Team Leader – Integrated Transport
Andy Newman (AN) CTC Right to Ride IW representative &
Wayfarer Cycle Touring Club
Tanja Rebel (TR) Cyclewight
Tim Thorne (TT) Cyclewight Chairman

1. Introduction
The meeting was chaired by Tim Thorne. Apologies were received from Hilary Thorpe and also from
Mark Blanchard who has indicated that Vectis Roads will undertake more events in the Cycling Festival
next year. No amendments to previous minutes.
2. Cycling Events
CC said the Cycling Festival and Carbon Cycle Celebration had been successful.
TT asked if closing St James Square had caused problems. CC replied there was no real problem.
TR thanked and praised CC for impressive organisation, and TT endorsed this.
CC asked for suggestions for the festival next year, which is planned from 15 to 23 September.
Post meeting note: The IW Cycling Festival will in fact be from 22 to 30 September 2012.
JL explained plans by Andrew Hodgson the owner of Cheverton Farm for its future use for off-road
cycling events. The land is near Brighstone Forest and is crossed by bridleways, with paths and a chalk
pit lending themselves to competitive cycling events. It had provided a cross-country loop for the Island
Games and is used for other sports such as shooting. There is comprehensive public liability insurance.
However some voluntary effort is needed to install fence posts and direction signs and to generally
improve facilities.
SG said that Sustrans Rangers could offer help with tools and organisation. TT can ask Cyclewight
members for support. VGL suggested that winter would be the best time to do this sort of work. CC said
the end of April would be a good time for events to take place. She will make contact with JL to follow up
the scheme.
3. IW Council
Local Sustainable Transport Fund: Rachel Mills explained that the government were offering one-off
funding for schemes to deliver regeneration, environment improvements and economic prosperity. Bids
could be for tranche 1 or 2, and having met with DfT in June the IW will bid for tranche 2 funding to
FORUM CONTACTS:
A.Lawson (minutes) alec.lawson@virgin.net
T.Thorne (Cyclewight) emt.thorne@virgin.net
A.Newman (Wayfarers) Andrew.Newman@onwight.net 2011-10-13_Cycle_Forum_Minutes Page 1
encourage visitors & residents to use green transport schemes and to leave cars behind. Funding will be
allocated 60% to revenue and 40% to capital (infrastructure), the other way round from normal, so there
will be an emphasis on promotion, signage, and transport organisation so as to win hearts and minds.
The council is particularly looking at transport hubs and links, and at facilities which will encourage visits
while leaving cars on mainland. Rights of Way were considering improvements to include those to
cycling networks. Any suggestions on these lines are welcome: please email RM in time for mid-
November draft.
TT said Cycling Shrewsbury is a good website and could be copied. Wightlink have links to Wight Cycle
at Ryde. RM said the ferries had gone their own way on cycle hire, but the council would like to integrate
bus ticketing with cycle hire. They would also back schemes to track buses using tags and potentially to
inform users when the buses were due.
MG said travel companies need to understand the communication arrangements via appropriate use of
new technology. This is sort of thing that should be in council bid. SG said what matters is information
e.g. better cycle route signage and availability of timetables and journey times for transport.
VGL said there should be a council transport website with all the links in one place, and gave the
Hampshire County Council web site as an example. She said the lack of a safe cycle route from Newport
going west was a problem. RM said that this route would not be included in the plan as it would be
capital intensive, and further that any proposal must be deliverable, having landowner support. She gave
examples of bids by other local authorities: Transport for S. Herts were introducing smart ticketing, and
Southampton were going after hearts & minds via improved facilities including those at rail stations.
AN said cycle route signage was poor or non-existent. At Sandown the route stopped before the town
centre, and at Shanklin station there was a one-way system. Cowes is unsatisfactory. He accepted that
major Cross-Newport improvements are under-way. SG added that badgers may be undermining the
cycle track near Dodnor. RM accepted the need for signage & route improvements, and mentioned the
East Cowes Greenways where pricing was under consideration. She believed that the construction of
the track would withstand badger burrows.
TR said that the very important Newport to Ryde route was totally unsuited to commuting. VGL added
that the road section at Wootton is a cycling nightmare. RM said that improvements have been
investigated but are not financially realistic. There are issues involving land ownership: however planning
conditions have been recorded for the event of future application for change of use.
MG offered a revenue friendly option with respect to the Shanklin to Wroxall cycle route. While
infrastructure funding sources do exist once the proposals are in place there are no funds for the
technical planning stage. Local communities need to be empowered to bridge this gap. RM responded
that targets for government funding must be identified and achieved and that failure could lead to claw
back.
Status of the Cross-Newport Cycle Route was explained by RM. Funding was in place for £90k of the
£100k required. The Blackhouse Quay section was now complete. Plans were agreed for the remainder
of the route to link to the existing route at Shide, apart from a safety issue which had to be agreed with
the landowner. There was an alternative but it would be considerably more expensive. Work at Coppins
Bridge would commence in a few weeks when flower beds could be relocated. RM thanked MG for his
contribution working with landowners of sections not owned by IW council.
Improvements at the Arctic Road, Cowes termination of the cycle track are planned involving barriers
and signage to vehicular traffic. These have been discussed with Cyclewight. TR said that in the long run
there should be arrangements to slow down lorries at both ends of the track rather than the adoption of
cycle barriers.
MHW raised the proposed Brading to St Helens cycle route, where a landowner impasse exists. RM said
the IWC was not keen to implement compulsory purchase, and the only alternative route involved RSPB
reserve.
FORUM CONTACTS:
A.Lawson (minutes) alec.lawson@virgin.net
T.Thorne (Cyclewight) emt.thorne@virgin.net
A.Newman (Wayfarers) Andrew.Newman@onwight.net 2011-10-13_Cycle_Forum_Minutes Page 2
JH raised his concerns regarding splays at bridleway/highway junctions. Layouts designed in the 1800's
for horse traffic provide inadequate visibility for the present day and this should be taken on board as a
Highways matter. He has also spoken to Alex Russell of AONB on the matter. RM agreed to take up the
matter, which has PFI implications.
TT said there was an increasing hazard to cyclists from the density and speed of modern traffic. AL
asked if feedback regarding this was available from the Cycling Festival participant surveys. CC
responded that forms were still being gathered but the information would be provided.
TT said that Road Safety has been taken on by the Fire Service, who now have a budget for this
purpose. Cycle training both on and off-road is undertaken by Bikeability. Steve Dines is planning to
have a cycle race using the IW College car park, and a cyclo-cross event at Robin Hill possibly in March.
4. Any Other Business
TT said that the Cyclewight AGM would be at Newport C of E School on Friday 25 November at 730pm.
Post meeting note: The speaker will be Ian Warby, Senior Off-road Development Officer for the CTC.
5. Date of next meeting
Wednesday 22 February 2012 at 6pm, Innovations Centre, St Cross Business Park, Newport.
FORUM CONTACTS:
A.Lawson (minutes) alec.lawson@virgin.net
T.Thorne (Cyclewight) emt.thorne@virgin.net
A.Newman (Wayfarers) Andrew.Newman@onwight.net 2011-10-13_Cycle_Forum_Minutes Page 3

Campaigning

Back to content